It’s sure felt like summer already here in Ohio even though we still have three more weeks of “spring.” I have so much I want to do with the kiddos this summer! Here are some ideas to ensure you have lots of fun this summer. 😉 I’ll provide a couple linked pictures at the bottom to our favorite summer items in case you need some ideas – just click on the pictures at the very bottom of the post and it’ll take you to the website.
1. Go to the zoo! Make it a day trip. Pack lunches in a cooler if you want to make it a little cheaper.
2. Play in the water table – I added shovels, pales and figurines to ours for added fun! I’ve also seen some people add bubbles.
3. Play with water beads in a sensory table or sensory bin. I underestimated how popular these would be! My toddler BEGS me to play with these multiple times everyday.
4. Catch lightning bugs.
5. Go to the beach.
6. Can’t go to the beach? Then go to the “beach.” I made a beach sensory bin using rice, white beans, rocks and seashells. It totally looks like the beach and Audrey has really enjoyed playing in it! I got everything from the dollar store so it was a super cheap project and I scrounged around the house to find the beach animals.
7. Make popsicles. This is on my list to do next week so when I perfect my recipe, I’ll post it!
8. Have a water balloon fight. Because sometimes it’s just fun to throw things at your kids.
9. Pool time. Whether it be a blow up pool in your backyard or traipsing off to the public pool – time spent at the pool is so fun!
10. Walk a trail. We’ve been trying to get out and walk a lot – it’s been so fun and relaxing!
11. Grill out. Burgers, dogs, chicken, just enjoy the outdoors with yummy grilled food.
12. Go to a farmer’s market. Summer time is the best time for fresh produce. Find a local farmer’s market and enjoy some yummy local produce. Plus supporting local farmers is just better anyway 😉
13. Have a picnic. Pack up some PB&Js and carrot sticks and head off to the park!
14. Too hot to go outside? Beat the heat and check out your local library for story time options.
15. Go on a road trip. Take a day and drive somewhere fun! Enjoy the sunshine and jamming out to music in the car. It doesn’t matter where you go. Sometimes the journey is the most fun.
16. Go camping. You can do this relatively cheap most places.
17. Get some cheap summer toys and make a day of it! We ventured to the dollar store yesterday and picked out some random summer time toys. Here are some ideas: Scoosh balls (I have no idea what they’re really called – I’ve just always called them this), a giant bubble wand, squirt guns, water balloons, shovel and pale, even just measuring cups can be fun in a water table, etc. There are so many options and random things you can get.
18. Go for ice cream, with sprinkles of course!
19. Fill up a birdfeeder and watch all the birds come flocking.
20. Eat watermelon and corn on the cob and all of that good summer food.
21. Watch fireworks.
22. Go to the park – swing, go down slides, test your strength on the handlebars, etc.
23. Walk in cool grass barefoot. I promise, it’s therapeutic.
24. Plant flowers or a garden.
25. Just enjoy family time. Embrace time with your sweet kids and soak up every ounce of sunshine you can.